‘Adventurous’ Woman Needed as Surrogate for Neanderthal Baby
Are you an adventurous human woman? Adventurous enough to be a surrogate mother for the first Neanderthal baby to be born in 30,000 years?
Harvard geneticist George Church recently told Der Spiegel he’s close to developing the necessary technology to clone a Neanderthal, at which point all he’d need is an “adventurous human woman” — einen abenteuerlustigen weiblichen Menschen — to act as a surrogate mother.
It’s not out of the question at all. As MIT Technology Review’s Susan Young points out, scientists cloned an extinct subspecies of ibex in 2009. It died immediately, sure. But they still cloned it.
What would that entail? According to a 2008 study of a Neanderthal infant skeleton (from which the above image is taken), “the head of the Neanderthal newborn was somewhat longer than that of a human newborn because of its relatively robust face,” and Neanderthal women generally had a wider birth canal than human women. Neanderthal birth was simpler than human birth, because Neanderthal infants didn’t have to rotate to get to the birth canal, but otherwise the processes were very similar. (Even so, I imagine all but the most adventurous of human women would opt for a C-section in this case.)
Once the baby’s out, though, you’re in good shape — Neanderthal babies are thought to have grown much more quickly than their human counterparts. And Church seems to think that there’ll be a Neanderthal craze, as he told Bloomberg Businessweek last year:
“We have lots of Neanderthal parts around the lab. We are creating Neanderthal cells. Let’s say someone has a healthy, normal Neanderthal baby. Well, then, everyone will want to have a Neanderthal kid. Were they superstrong or supersmart? Who knows? But there’s one way to find out.”
SCIENCE YOU ARE DRUNK
I don’t think I’m quite that adventurous.
Science, stahp. Just stahp. Seriously, you’re drunk science, go home.
I don’t know how I feel about this?
What the heck?
Yes, good, we are just one step away from Jurassic Park.
^ Made me wonder if there are adventurous females who will be bearing velociraptors…
- likesfromthepast reblogged this from we-are-star-stuff
- poison-empress reblogged this from thecryptocreep
- jue-bee likes this
- jennifahsoo likes this
- valewiaaaa reblogged this from princessingrid09
- princessingrid09 reblogged this from thecryptocreep
- nuanali likes this
- altlandscape likes this
- moralpanicsfolkdevils reblogged this from sorenbowie
- klaustrophobicklusterphuck reblogged this from kaernkupthenoise
- drachula likes this
- asfasfasfad reblogged this from mitchelljdee
- m3m3dousuji likes this
- pointhairend likes this
- someonenoticeme reblogged this from thecryptocreep
- chainsarebreaking reblogged this from sorenbowie
- cooterbee reblogged this from sorenbowie
- swishykitten reblogged this from sorenbowie
- woolythroktar reblogged this from mellofever
- mellofever reblogged this from mummymimms
- mummymimms reblogged this from sorenbowie
- hopelessenuff likes this
- hopelessenuff reblogged this from timeywimeytelephonebox
- timeywimeytelephonebox reblogged this from sorenbowie
- misakinakahara reblogged this from actuallycastiel
- maiwi0uxe likes this
- actuallycastiel reblogged this from tehcrzy1
- pinkhunnybee likes this
- cherriesndlove reblogged this from hyrulewarriorprincess
- tastes-like-feet reblogged this from heartlikeahandgrenade
- nowwhatmeg likes this
- katshi likes this
- thephilosophyofdeduction reblogged this from thebrockway
- ghiiscari likes this
- ssnowflake likes this
- sheerdumbluck likes this
- ianmckinleyisdumb likes this
- neonspectrum likes this
- heartlikeahandgrenade reblogged this from itsvondell
- betamaxbandit likes this
- biblebreather likes this
- teashop-for-the-soul reblogged this from distally
- rosesinthesummertime reblogged this from itsvondell
- nicealyssum likes this
- nicealyssum reblogged this from feverglow
- haandsome likes this
- whatever-lion reblogged this from lupercos and added:
- pulsatingcreature likes this
- onetrickfox reblogged this from moonmolt and added: